Monday, July 23, 2007

Housing Found

I spent this last weekend out in the Bay area looking for an apartment. I was unpleasantly surprised to find housing had gone up about 20% since I did a brief survey about 6 months ago. One Bedroom apartments out there now start around $1,250 a month for a "decent" apartment. I found a few places similar to the worst Madison has to offer to students for ONLY $1,095 or so a month. On the other end of the spectrum are the "luxury" apartments aka new which run from $1,600 to over $2,000 a month for a one bedroom.

I've decided to go with a place which had a 850 square foot 1 bedroom for "only" $1,325 a month. As this complex only does month to month leases at least I have some flexibility to move if I find someplace else. As two and three bedroom apartments only cost a couple hundred more than a one bedroom, if I find a roommate I can always move into such a place to save some cash. Now I get to start the fun process of coordinating a move of my "room of junk", and car to CA.

No comments: