Sunday, October 03, 2004

Jon's Theorem of Internet Audio

I subscribed to X-Box live this weekend since I had a free trial about to expire. After playing online for a bit I've been forced to pose the following Theorem for eveyone to ponder.

If someone uses voice chat that person is guaranteed to be less than 17 years of age.

This comes from much observation of voice chat in Half-Life, UT 2004, and now X-Box live. I don't think ANYONE over the age of 17 has EVER used a microphone to chat in a videogame. I am really sick of 10 year olds crying "Ju n00bz0r h4x0r, st0p w4ll h4cking. u r so g4y". That's right I can even hear them speaking in 31337 speak. You can just feel the use of numbers instead of actual vowels.

This isn't just a CS phenomenon. I've had this talk in every FPS that has a voice mode, and now with X-Box live "Splinter Cell", "Mechassault", and even "Project Gotham Racing". As old as I am I feel like I shouldn't be gaming 'les someone think I'm only 12 and playing games out of my basement.

No comments: