Monday, May 21, 2007

Vista why are you so slow?

So I ended up putting XP x64 back on my desktop as I wasn't ready to go Linux full time yet (I should probably test duel-booting + games). I did find some amazing things out. When I said Vista was dog slow in my last post, I didn't quite capture how slow. See a fresh cruftless xp install flys on my hardware. We're talking 15 seconds from post to desktop.

Running WoW I'm seeing a solid 60 FPS while running around even in Shattrath or Ironforge. As a comparison Vista liked to average 20 FPS in the same areas. That's right I go from a nice solidly playable framerate to 20 FPS by switching from the ohh so slow 64 bit XP, to the horrible bloat that is Vista 32 bit (yes 32 bit Vista == slower than 64 bit XP).

What I'd really like to run on my desktop is OS X except that only works on Apple systems. Unfortunately they don't have an non-uber workstation tower, and even in that case they don't support the latest graphics cards. I really wish Apple would just sell Tiger as a separate product and let it work on other hardware. At that point I think MS would be crushed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I thought Tim installed OS X on one of his computers??????