Sunday, May 13, 2007

Vista + XP + Hibernate = Dead Computer

Well it finally happened, dual booting Vista and XP has now hosed my desktop. It appears that at one point when I was using XP it got hibernated instead of properly shutdown. Turns out that if you do anything to XP's disk when it is busy hibernating, such as run a program from the disk it doesn't wake up very well.

Rather it boots, then explorer just keeps restarting every 10 seconds until you shutdown. But that's not all! If you manage to shut the system down during a brief moment when explorer is up it marks all your disk as dirty. Then on the next boot it runs chkdsk, which somehow goes through your OS file system and does some magic. So that when XP tries to boot again you're left with a mouse cursor, and a giant black desktop until force a restart. Ohh did I mention that safemode also gives you a giant black desktop?

Well at least XP didn't eat Vista so my computer isn't totally dead. Only Vista is a giant dog on system resources and so doing anything, like gaming really sucks on it. I guess it's about time I reinstalled XP 64 anyway. I just hadn't planned on doing a big backup/reinstall this week.

I might as well throw this out there. Should I bother putting XP back on or should I switch my desktop over to Linux?

Reasons to use Linux:
  • Works well as a desktop
  • Could maybe actually do work related to my research on Linux
  • Can play UT 2004
  • Not Windows
Reasons to use Windows:
  • I can play games other than UT 2004
  • Desktop is primarily used for gaming
  • Really all I can think of is I like gaming

4 comments:

Unknown said...

hey this is zenz...you should help me install linux on my desktop this summer while you're still in town!

Unknown said...

The last time I installed Linux, I was able to play Quake III Arena and Return to Castle Wolfenstein natively. I believe that you can play Quake IV and Doom III in Linux natively as well, so there are some other games. But what about WoW? Didn't you have that working when I was there? Plus, with Linux you get to play with the neat Beryl window compositer.

Also, you do have a PS3, remember?

When I finally upgrade my computer, I'm definitely dual booting Windows and Linux.

Unknown said...

Oh, I forgot to mention, sorry to hear XP died. Hopefully you didn't have anything very important on the drive, did you?

Jeni said...

"Really all I can think of is I like gaming" LOL