Saturday, December 10, 2005

CS GRE and Narnia

This morning I woke up at 7am to make it to the psychology building by 8:30 for the CS GRE. For those of you who don't know me well 8:30am is very, very early for me. In fact I haven't been up before 8:30 since May, except for today that is. In any case taking a test at 8:30 isn't my idea of a fun wakeup. Personally, I hate standardized tests despite my doing well on them, I think they are biased towards people who like to get up before the crack of dawn. It's not fair to those of us who achieve peak mental acuity around Noon.

Well after taking the over long (170 minute) test, I went home, grabbed some food, and then went to the 3:00pm showing of "The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe." I have to say the movie was enjoyable. It wasn't as good as I had hoped it would be, as it was a bit slow in the middle (I almost fell asleep). Narnia was a good adaptation of the books and I don't have any complaints about them leaving stuff out. It's at least as good as the old PBS/Hallmark/BBC (I know it was on PBS) adaptation of the books. Overall, I'd say it is one of the better book to movie adaptations I've seen in a long time. Much better than Howl's Moving Castle (another children's book favorite of mine, don't get me started.)

2 comments:

jeni said...

1. Why did you have to take the CS GRE?

2. Yes, I think any movie could beat Howl's Moving Castle.

Jon said...

I took the CS GRE as part of an application for a Fellowship. They highly suggest you have a subject GRE score test sent to them to help them evaluate you. As I didn't need this for Grad. school I skipped it before.

So I got to take it Saturday. Luckily it was paid for by the application committee since I don't plan to use it for anything else.

Howl's Moving Castle was so bad it wasn't even funny. The book by Dyanna Wynne Jones is very good and part of an enjoyable series. Somehow Stuido Ghibli completely missed the entire point (and story) in their craptastic adaptation of an otherwise wonderful book.

Considering their other movies have been pretty good I have no idea what happened.