Saturday, April 22, 2006

Thank You for Smoking

Last night I saw the excellent movie "Thank You for Smoking". I definitely recommend the movie, it gives some interesting insight into "Spin" and the world of lobbiests. It even comes with some good tips on how to debate someone, just remember you don't need to be right you just need to show the other person is wrong.


This morning I'm heading to Engr to give a talk to high school students about how great computer engr is. I hope I manage to convince someone to become and engr. To be honest I'm not sure how much influence college student has with highschoolers. I could really see making a difference if I worked with them everyday and showed what cool stuff you can do in engineering, but given 1 hour? Hopefully our demo of our fountain remote control project doesn't totally break just before we give our presentation. What could possibly go wrong? Computers never make mistakes.

1 comment:

Colin M said...

I like the line, "Computers make very fast, very accurate mistakes."

Yeah, I'm not sure how well ESTEAM worked as a recruiting mechanism... Hopefully somebody was interested enough to be an engineer and come to Madison, but we were definitely talking to the minority in those groups with our Computer Engineering plug.

On the upshot, at least our fountain code worked!